Learn French vocabulary with the song, LE LION EST MORT CE SOIR (French Song Vocabulary, SV #12, “The lion is dead tonight”), the French version of the popular song, “The Lion Sleeps Tonight“. This popular song, originally from South Africa, was sung by many French artists (including Henri Salvador in 1962) but the version we are introducing is sung by Kids United Nouvelle Génération. One of my favourite songs, it’s a peppy tune with simple vocabulary that is great for the true French beginner.
B) Word List
Learn some of the words from the song with the Word Map & Word Table below.
A WORD TABLE is a table where each word is listed with its dictionary-look-up word (the form of the word that it is listed under in the dictionary), definition, grammatical parts of speech and other notes about the word.
Notes: 1) Scroll horizontally, if all table columns are not visible. 2) LINK* This column shows the DICTIONARY-LOOK-UP word & a link to an online dictionary entry. 3) (* ) This is the translation of the conjugated verb.
Notes: 1) (* ) This is the translation of the conjugated verb.
2) Pink word boxes show the lyric vocabulary words.
3) Blue word boxes show Bonus words.
4) Dotted outline word boxes attached to other word boxes (verbs, nouns, adjectives) who the different forms of the words they are attached to
5) Bold font show dictionary-look-up words (The form of the word that it is listed under in the dictionary.)
6) Italics show feminine words.
Q1) TRIVIA TRUE or FALSE? Due to the similar pronunciation of LION & LYON (name of the city), this song was sung to mock the Lyon soccer team, OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS (the team that is shown in the promotional video below).